Re: [SLUG] More and More Hardware Recommendations

From: John Brown (photo.man@knology.net)
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 00:10:30 EST

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 21:28, michael hast wrote:
> Robert Snyder wrote:
>
> > Here is my list of the good hard preformer
> >
> > Athlon XP 32bit 3200 +
> > 512 of DDR PC333
> > Nforce 2 Motherboard
> > Nvidia GF4 AGP card ( cheap and good since you dont game)
> >

> I'm thinking of building myself an Athalon 64. Would you suggest an
> Asus board there? (Sorry to hi-jack the thread.) I had been leaning in
> the Asus direction, but am certainly open to other options depending on
> pros and cons.

I built a system with an ASUS board a few months ago. The board was
faulty - bad traces. It would reboot intermittently. I checked with a
few others in the area who all advised me that ASUS quality had dropped
badly in recent years. A trip to US Computers (66th St. & Ulmerton -
Largo) for a part got me a talk with the owner. They won't touch an ASUS
board anymore. Quality control issues.

Just a recent experience...
-- JB