Re: [SLUG] Sharing (Network or SaMBa issue) files on a linux box

From: Caleb Rodriguez (calebsr2k@acm.org)
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 11:39:22 EST

On Dec 22, 2005, at 10:35 AM, Eben King wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Caleb Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to set up SaMBa on my linux box to allow others
>> computers on my network to access files in a directory. The other
>> computers are connected through my router and cannot see my linux
>> box. My linux box is dual booting and works well with the other OS. I
>> really would like to get this working. I feel that it is probably a
>> configuration issue. I would really appreciate any help or pointers
>> or FAQs that anyone can give me. Someone please throw me a bone. I do
>> not wish to use the other OS to share my files. I have tried with no
>> success to use webmin and I cannot get swat to work.
>
> What kind of problem are you seeing?

Thank you for your reply. I should first explain what I been trying
to do. My main computer is running linux (debian) and it is connected
directly to my router. The other 3 are as follows:
1. iBook G4 wireless connection (static ip)
2. XP Laptop (Sorry for school use) wireless connection (static ip)
3. Workstation linux (debian) static ip

All of my computers have a static ip assigned to them and the subnet
is correct as per networking standards??
I have tried sharing files from my main machine to the others on my
network and cannot seem to get it to work. I am sure that it can be
done. Since it works if I boot up into the (Other OS)

>> Also, when I look in my browser at localhost:631 cups does not
>> show up.
>
> Is Cups running? Do a "netstat -A inet -a -p" as root to find out
> where
> it's listening. "telnet localhost port_num" to try to connect to
> it (^]q to
> quit telnet once it's connected, ^C before). Maybe it has to be
> invoked
> with some option to enable the web interface?

It seems that when I run this at the command line it says that cupsd
in running on port 703. Hmmm that does not make sense.
Here is the line:
tcp 0 0 *:ipp *:* LISTEN 703/cupsd
udp 0 0 *:ipp *:* 703/cupsd

> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=48286 might help. Dunno
> if you're
> running Ubuntu...

Nope I am not running Ubuntu. Maybe if it works better??
Thank you again