Re: [SLUG] Sharing (Network or SaMBa issue) files on a linux box

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 12:34:53 EST

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Caleb Rodriguez wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2005, at 10:35 AM, Eben King wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Caleb Rodriguez wrote:
> >
> >> I have been trying to set up SaMBa on my linux box to allow others
> >> computers on my network to access files in a directory. The other
> >> computers are connected through my router and cannot see my linux
> >> box. My linux box is dual booting and works well with the other OS. I
> >> really would like to get this working. I feel that it is probably a
> >> configuration issue. I would really appreciate any help or pointers
> >> or FAQs that anyone can give me. Someone please throw me a bone. I do
> >> not wish to use the other OS to share my files. I have tried with no
> >> success to use webmin and I cannot get swat to work.
> >
> > What kind of problem are you seeing?
>
> Thank you for your reply. I should first explain what I been trying
> to do. My main computer is running linux (debian) and it is connected
> directly to my router. The other 3 are as follows:
> 1. iBook G4 wireless connection (static ip)
> 2. XP Laptop (Sorry for school use) wireless connection (static ip)
> 3. Workstation linux (debian) static ip
>
> All of my computers have a static ip assigned to them and the subnet
> is correct as per networking standards??
> I have tried sharing files from my main machine to the others on my
> network and cannot seem to get it to work. I am sure that it can be
> done. Since it works if I boot up into the (Other OS)

Run "tail -f /var/log/messages /var/log/samba/*" in one root terminal while
you start Samba in another, to see if it complains about anything. I did
this too (my machine's called "pc"):

[eben@pc eben]$ smbclient //pc/ -L pc
added interface ip=192.168.1.11 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
added interface ip=192.168.3.1 bcast=192.168.3.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password: <-- I just hit enter
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.7a]

        Sharename Type Comment
        --------- ---- -------
        programs Disk Contains \Program Files
        tmp Disk Temporary file space
        export Disk Exported data
        dvd2 Disk Lower DVD
        dvd2b Disk DVD to be
        scratch Disk Scratch space
        IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Eben's Samba Server, version 2.2.7a)
        ADMIN$ Disk IPC Service (Eben's Samba Server, version 2.2.7a)

        Server Comment
        --------- -------
        <others>
        PC Eben's Samba Server, version 2.2.7a

        Workgroup Master
        --------- -------
        WORKGROUP PC

If anonymous doesn't work, try tacking on "-U your_login". If that _still_
doesn't work ("session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE"), maybe you
need to add your username/password to the smbpassword file with smbpasswd,
although I heard there is some kind of automatic password synching
available.

> It seems that when I run this at the command line it says that cupsd
> in running on port 703. Hmmm that does not make sense.
> Here is the line:
> tcp 0 0 *:ipp *:* LISTEN 703/cupsd
> udp 0 0 *:ipp *:* 703/cupsd

There you go -- port 703. So point your web browser at
http://localhost:703/ . Dunno why it chose that port instead of 631, but
there you go. Maybe there's some file in /etc where you can specify the
port, if you don't like 703.

VIRGO:  All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except
for you.  Expect a big surprise today when you wind up with your
head impaled upon a stick.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_