Re: [SLUG] Sharing (Network or SaMBa issue) files on a linux box

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 13:57:38 EST

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Steven Buehler wrote:
> On 12/22/05, Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Caleb Rodriguez wrote:
> >
> > > All of my computers have a static ip assigned to them and the subnet
> > > is correct as per networking standards??
> > > I have tried sharing files from my main machine to the others on my
> > > network and cannot seem to get it to work. I am sure that it can be
> > > done. Since it works if I boot up into the (Other OS)
> >
> > Run "tail -f /var/log/messages /var/log/samba/*" in one root terminal while
> > you start Samba in another, to see if it complains about anything. I did
> > this too (my machine's called "pc"):
> >
> > [eben@pc eben]$ smbclient //pc/ -L pc

[output]

[recommendations]

> > > It seems that when I run this at the command line it says that cupsd
> > > in running on port 703. Hmmm that does not make sense.
> > > Here is the line:
> > > tcp 0 0 *:ipp *:* LISTEN 703/cupsd
> > > udp 0 0 *:ipp *:* 703/cupsd
> >
> > There you go -- port 703. So point your web browser at
> > http://localhost:703/ . Dunno why it chose that port instead of 631, but
> > there you go. Maybe there's some file in /etc where you can specify the
> > port, if you don't like 703.

> Caleb and I have been working on getting this Samba resolved for a few
> days; I had it set up finally on Kanotix, but now I've switched to FC4
> and can't get any other windows clients to connect to the Linux box
> (they see it, but when I log in it rejects the login, even though I
> appear to have it set up properly in smb.conf

They're not using "\\MACHINE\user" are they? I've seen authentication
failures when machine address is disallowed using "hosts allow" or "allow
hosts". Maybe "allow trusted domains", "browsable"/"browseable",
"interfaces", or "invalid users" ("Default: no invalid users") is the
problem.

Heck, as long as netstat's out, try "netstat -A inet -a -p | grep mbd".

> (I'm using Webmin and SWAT to make set up "easier").

Heh. I scrap all that visual stuff, as it usually makes things difficult or
impossible in practice.

LIBRA:  A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
much more talented than you.  Laughter is the very best medicine,
remember that when your appendix bursts next week.  -- Weird Al