Re: [SLUG] file encryption

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 17:06:50 EST

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 16:05 -0500, Richard Morgan wrote:
> It depends on how well you want to protect the information. If you're merely
> trying to disguise the contents of the folders you could get away with
> something simple like ROT to scramble the info or uuencode to make it
> unreadable. You could also use the Unix crypt() function. If you have it
> installed, you could use GPG.
>
> You've got many options depending on the level of security you need for these
> files and how easily you want to be able to un-encrypt them.
>
> Sincerely,
> Richard Morgan
> Heavy Systems Administrator
> http://www.heavysystems.com
> Powerful web hosting and server solutions for your business.
> Heavy Systems is an Authorized AMD Solution Provider.

It's a few things that are too long or obscure for my brain to remember.
Things like multiple rotating 128bit hex format wep keys in a text file
and passwords that are not data sensitive and are not used often enough
to commit to memory like sourceforge. I was playing around with des -E
and -D and dumping the key to a file on portable media. I can't get it
to decrypt right though. I'll have to play with the loopback approach
to get a better understanding about the encryption part. It may be
overkill for right now but it has many other obvious advantages for
encrypted file storage.

Mike Branda Jr.