Re: [SLUG] Sharing (Network or SaMBa issue) files on a linux box

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Dec 23 2005 - 00:34:52 EST

On Friday 23 December 2005 00:01, Caleb Rodriguez wrote:
> Okay here is an update.
>
> I can ping the linux box from the iBook. But when I try to ping the
> linux box from my XP(sorry for school) it gives me Destination host
> is unreachable.
>
> Ok we all know that something is wrong here. I just do not know what.
> Maybe a step by step?

When you debug you always start by not assuming anything is working.
So you start at the bottom of what you can prove.

Is my NIC active?
What's the IP? Subnet, netmask, gateway, dns resolver?

Can I ping anyone on my LAN, outside the LAN?

Having verified the basics you move up the line. As I pointed out before the
firewall is often overlooked. On a LAN you can usually test the filters by
just taking down the firewall, does it work now?

Ensure every underlying step has been checked before moving on.

On the receiving box you should be able to see the connection attempt with
tcpdump. If you don't see it then that f/w is probably not open. Partial
connect is probably some priviledge missing.

Pinging is sometimes not allowed. F.ex. my firewalls are not good netizen's as
I just drop any ping attempt, because it's a lower profile.

Start at the bottom. Have you verified the cable works both ways? Your cable
can be broken without and still have connect lights on both ends.

It's not a matter of distribution either. They ALL use the same software, more
or less. Some may have a nicer configuration tool, but it's available to all
being GPL'd. Some do have a better install (on some feature) than others.

Skipping around when testing is a waste of time, you have to be utterly
methodical.

I'm too busy or I'd talk you through it. This is easy to solve though. If this
is new to you then make a drawing of each component and then verify each one.
Good education too.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.