Re: [SLUG] Multiple mice

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 25 2005 - 13:22:25 EST

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005, michael hast wrote:

> Ron Youvan wrote:
>
> >> I am running KDE on Suse 10.0 and have 3 mice.
> >> Does anyone know a way to configure only 1 as a left handed mouse
> >> without affecting the other 2?
> >
> > I've got 2 hands, but 3 mice???
> > If all else fails the wiring in "a mouse" can be reversed. The
> > hardware cure.
>
> That's what I was wondering. And in the same vein, how difficult would
> it be to hard-wire a keyboard to the Dvorak layout? I'm just not
> convinced enough to plunk the cash on a pre-hardwired keyboard, and I'm
> not sure it would be any less difficult to configure it on the software
> side. Any of you guys using Dvorak?

I'm using Left-Hand Dvorak, which isn't similar to regular Dvorak, but is a
non-QWERTY layout [2]. You can see it at http://24.94.123.65:81/dvorak.jpg .
"`", "Y", "U", and "\" are unchanged [1], so I wrote /export/bin/y (to set
up the kb for LHDvorak, and /export/bin/u (to set up the kb for QWERTY).
They detect whether we're in X or not by the presence of $DISPLAY (not
foolproof, but hasn't guessed wrong yet). If you want them I can mail them
to you.

[1] \ and ` should be swapped, but the keys are different sizes

[2] I rearranged the key caps, which has the nice side effect of encouraging
others to borrow some other machine. That first login is blind, though, as
logically it's QWERTY, but physically it's not.

An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all. -Oscar Wilde