Re: [SLUG] Multiple mice

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Dec 25 2005 - 13:50:59 EST

michael hast wrote:
> Ron Youvan wrote:
>
>>> I am running KDE on Suse 10.0 and have 3 mice.
>>> Does anyone know a way to configure only 1 as a left handed mouse
>>> without affecting the other 2?
>>

>> I've got 2 hands, but 3 mice???
>> If all else fails the wiring in "a mouse" can be reversed. The
>> hardware cure.
>

> That's what I was wondering. And in the same vein, how difficult would
> it be to hard-wire a keyboard to the Dvorak layout? I'm just not
> convinced enough to plunk the cash on a pre-hardwired keyboard, and I'm
> not sure it would be any less difficult to configure it on the software
> side. Any of you guys using Dvorak?

All you need to do is replace your current keymap. Distributions do this
different ways, but somewhere in the files in your /etc hierarchy is a
pointer to which keymap to use. On Debian:

/etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz

is the keymap used from boot forward. I always swap Ctrl and Caps Lock
keys on my keyboards (drives my wife crazy). The keymaps to choose from
are at:

/usr/share/keymaps

Assuming you're running an Intel chip, your Dvorak layout would be in the

/usr/share/keymaps/i386/dvorak

subdirectory. You simply copy one of those to the aforementioned /etc
location and reboot. (Actually, you can remap on the fly, but I'm not
familiar with the procedure enough to describe it.)

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster