Re: [SLUG] kmail won't start

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Mon Dec 26 2005 - 20:45:07 EST

steve szmidt wrote:

>On Monday 26 December 2005 00:51, Eben King wrote:

>Was that a verbatim message? Who owns the /home directory?
>
>I've had that in the past when I copied my home dir to a new system. Does the
>user id match you? I.e. when you type ls -l /home/bob do you see bob or a
>(user id) number like 500. Though I think that last Q has already been
>answered.
>
>Definitely a rights or disk space problem.
>
>Or Mail is already there, another reason for that error. Have you
>checked /var/log/messages?
>
>One way to check is to add a new user and see if he can create a new Mail dir.
>Then you'll know that KDE is OK. Back to rights.

Steve,
Thanks for replying.
Yes, that is a verbatim message. Funny that the message refers to
~/HOME/Mail and not ~HOME/bob/Mail Rechecked, and the owner is me.
(bob) Permissions seem to be correct. Nothing in /var/log/messages.
Made a new user and result is the same.

As I told Eben, I am going to upgrade in a few days anyway with a clean
install. We'll see what happens then. Would be nice to know though.

Bob S.