Re: [SLUG] Converting my son

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 26 2005 - 16:39:01 EST

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005, Bob Stia wrote:

> Been trying to convert my son from Windoz to Linux for several years now.
> Finally he had enough of the Windoz problems that he agreed to let me
> install my SuSE 9.2 on his machine.
>
> Popped in my 9.2 disk, the SuSE splash screen came up and then I got a
> message in a little square box that stated:
> "Out of Range." and gave the following numbers. "Hf46.4 Vf 86hz" and
> gave the proper ranges of, "30-80khz Hf & 55-75 khz Vf"

Where is it getting those numbers? Did you supply them, or a Mode(line)
that led to them? If that happened to me, I would try telling the installer
it's a generic 1280x1024 (or whatever) LCD, ignore what the monitor says.
You can also try smaller screens. Yes, it'll look suboptimal, but you can
fix that once it's installed.

If you really can't get it to work, do what the other poster said and go for
a text install.

LCDs don't flicker, as CRTs do at 60 Hz, so reduce heat in your computer
case and drop the vertical refresh to around 60 Hz. IIRC heat is
proportional to frequency^2, and in this case the frequency that matters is
the dot clock.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Ben Franklin