Re: [SLUG] Re: HD fscked?

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 11:57:42 EST

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 18:19 -0500, Eben King wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Levi Bard wrote:
>
> > The data wasn't important enough that I made backups; although it is a
> > bit of a nuisance losing it, it can be recreated.
>
> In the future, an easy way to make backups is to have a second HD (identical
> works; non-identical, same-size (smaller drive = main) should work; larger
> (= backup) might work); and nightly copy main -> backup. rdist would be
> _much_ faster. On my machine, it takes about 1h10m for 115G on the same
> channel. Set the backup drive's spin-down time short. Won't work now, of
> course.

Why not RAID 1? Or just rsync the two if the disks are of different
size or you're worried about performance loss with the RAID?? It would
cut the drive wear way down and rsync only changes the files that have
been modified. I do an rsync -au every day and once a week I do an
rsync -au --delete (cron jobs). That way, I have time to get an
accidentally deleted file back before the --delete runs.

I'll bet you could rsync the two in less that 10 minutes on average.
especially on the same channel.

Mike Branda Jr.