Re: [SLUG] Re: HD fscked?

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 17:23:20 EST

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Mike Branda wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 18:19 -0500, Eben King wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Levi Bard wrote:
> >
> > > The data wasn't important enough that I made backups; although it is a
> > > bit of a nuisance losing it, it can be recreated.
> >
> > In the future, an easy way to make backups is to have a second HD
> > (identical works; non-identical, same-size (smaller drive = main) should
> > work; larger (= backup) might work); and nightly copy main -> backup.
> > rdist would be _much_ faster. On my machine, it takes about 1h10m for
> > 115G on the same channel. Set the backup drive's spin-down time short.
> > Won't work now, of course.
>
> Why not RAID 1?

Thought about that, but I didn't want the extra load/heat of a second drive,
or the noise. And that would age both drives about the same; as it is, I
should get a bit less than a second lifetime from the second drive.

> Or just rsync the two if the disks are of different size or you're worried
> about performance loss with the RAID?? It would cut the drive wear way
> down and rsync only changes the files that have been modified.

I'll have to use rsync if I upgrade drive sizes.

> I'll bet you could rsync the two in less that 10 minutes on average.
> especially on the same channel.

Probably. I want to be able to repartition the main drive and have that
reflected in the backup, and I couldn't find a way to do that with rsync.
If you don't plan on repartitioning, then rsync is much better than dd for
backup purposes.

--
"Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at only
 one point and were discovered by Euclid, who lived in the 6th century,