RE: [SLUG] Debian

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 16:19:19 EST

>>What I have firmly established is that doing such with the current
disarray in Commercial Linux distributions, Red Hat, SuSE, and Mandriva,
that that is not possible for anyone on the lass that guru level.

I'm not too bright, but I was able to get Linux/Apache/MySQL running pretty
easily on Fedora Core 3, SuSE, and Debian Sarge. There must be something
basically different about our approaches, since our results are so
different.

I install strictly off of CDs. That is, I download the entire 5 (or so)
ISOs. I wonder if that makes a difference. I purchased my first good
distro, SuSE 9.1, and it was pretty painless.

I usually install for Server, but I also make sure that I have KDE and
Gnome, since I am a big GUI wimp.

I'll bet some simple thing is causing you grief. Don't give up yet.

Sometimes, the easiest way to find a needle in a haystack is to roll around
in the haystack.

Ken Elliott