RE: [SLUG] Debian

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 10:02:56 EST

>>BY THE WAY DON"T BITCH THAT YOU PAID CHEAP CHARLIE FOR A COMPLETE
FUNCTIONAL CAR AND DID"T GET ONE.

Perhaps I am misreading your message.... But.... It seems like Charlie GAVE
you a FREE car, and you don't know how to install a stereo in it, and are
complaining to Charlie's friends that Charlie should have put it in for you.
On the surface, it doesn't seem like this approach is a good way to get help
from Charlie's friends.

Is your point that commercial distos need improvement, and easy
installation? I agree. I also see that it has greatly improved.

>> Now consider that one of the big items that business uses is a MySQL
server it can only be viewed as the high of total complete incompetence that
you would deliver a product to your principal client base that is knowling
so defective that it is nonfunctional by the intended user.

Huh? My install of SuSE 9.1 was nearly flawless, including MySQL. I mean,
it was really easy. I've not used SuSE 10, so I don't know about it. But
keep in mind that anyone that is going to use a SQL server had better have
some technical knowledge or he'll build a crap database.

Frank, I'm in agreement that things need improvement, but your message is
coming across as venting your frustration at your inability to get a free
technical product (Debian) from working. People on this list are trying to
help, but its not clear that you are taking their advice. Perhaps I've
misread this.

My suggestion is to go back and re-read Paul's suggested install process.
Follow it to the letter and ask for help with specific issues, with details.

>The objective was to make a small MySQL server of basely a telephone
>directory of clients for our business.

You could simply make an HTML page containing this information and use
Apache to display it. MySQL seems to be overkill for this application.
Another option would be to use SugarCRM or something like it.

Ken Elliott