Re: [SLUG] Debian

From: Mavrick (icebergwaltz@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 10:44:37 EST

On 12/29/05, SOTL <sotl155360@earthlink.net> wrote:

> BY THE WAY DON"T BITCH THAT YOU PAID CHEAP CHARLIE FOR A COMPLETE
> FUNCTIONAL
> CAR AND DID"T GET ONE.

Frank, I am just trying to understand completely where you are trying to go
with this so forgive me if I have missed your point. The last time I
checked, MySQL was not in development by any of the "big 3" distros that you
mentioned, but rather a development of its own, able to be used by any
distro that you want (i.e. an application) So in effect, the distro that
you pay for or download (the OS itself) is fully functional. Don't be mad at
the distro because an app developed by a 3rd party doesn't quite fit right
(more on this later)

Now, from what I've read, Debian is not the distro for
newbies/not-so-technical folks which is why I have not touched it at this
point. However, I have installed both SuSE (9.0-9.3) and RedHat (7.2- FC3)
both from downloaded ISO's and pre-packaged (store bought) distributions
with little problem (I am strictly a GUI person and the installations were
relatively painless).

The previous post by Mike Branda was right on the money. Take it slow, and
in small chunks. Get the OS up and running first (and I suggest dropping
Debian at this point in favor of a more GUI/user-friendly distro until you
feel more comfortable). Then, start adding services/apps (testing
functionality after each one to make sure they work to your satisfaction).

As for MySQL, aside from some "quirkyness" among each distro and where each
wants to install the files, it works well. There is plenty (and I mean
PLENTY) of documentation out there regarding MySQL installation and use, the
main one being www.mysql.com. I had never installed let alone used MySQL
before and had very limited exposure to Linux, but by reading and doing some
research I was able to install and configure MySQL (server and client) and
play to my hearts content.

Chances are, someone has attempted the exact same thing you are trying now
and has run into similar (if not the same) problems. Remember, GOOGLE IS
YOUR FRIEND. Especially here.

I am not trying to be disparaging here, just pointing out that although I
knew very little I was able to search for resources and learn it. In
addition, I was patient. After a few months of learning/playing I had a
working central MySQL database on a secured Apache 2.0 server that was
accessible by any machine on the network using a GUI front end written in
HTML and PHP.

Just be patient, and if you really want to learn it, you will.

Good luck,

Mav