Re: [SLUG] Debian

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 15:50:48 EST

On Thursday 29 December 2005 10:44 am, Mavrick wrote:
> On 12/29/05, SOTL <sotl155360@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > BY THE WAY DON"T BITCH THAT YOU PAID CHEAP CHARLIE FOR A COMPLETE
> > FUNCTIONAL
> > CAR AND DID"T GET ONE.
>
> Frank, I am just trying to understand completely where you are trying to go
> with this so forgive me if I have missed your point.

There or four or may it was a bit longer Open Office 2 was released. Open
Office 1 had a data base connection but it was difficult to use so no one
did. Open Office 2.0 has a very nice GUI front end that may be connected to a
number of data bases including Postgress and MySQL.

If one sets up a MySQL server then one may connect a number of computers to
the same data base. Thus by using Open Office one can connects MS Windows and
Linux boxes to the same MySQL server. One could also do this with Postgress
allegedly too. I haven't checked that out yet as I do not have a Postgress
book. I do have a MySQL book.

Thus before the last couple of weeks I have worked on making connections but
mothing like what I have done in the last couple of weeks.

> The last time I
> checked, MySQL was not in development by any of the "big 3" distros that
> you mentioned, but rather a development of its own, able to be used by any
> distro that you want (i.e. an application) .

MySQL, MySQLServer, MySQL Common and a number of other programs related to
MySQL including ODBC and JDBC are distributed with all 3 major commercial
distributions .

The issues for SuSE are first I do not know SuSE, second Novel appears to be
abounding support for SuSE [think not look at the SuSE BB and you will note
it is 90+% spam that is not a strong indicator of technical support. Do not
confuse material support of web site et with actually having employed
technicals work on SuSE projects].

Mandrake has similar issues which I have expounded to many time to bother
repeating and Red Hat is to involved with the Blue curve to my taste. So I am
going to try another distribution, Debian, which is not commercial and hope
that solves my issue.

> So in effect, the distro that
> you pay for or download (the OS itself) is fully functional. Don't be mad
> at the distro because an app developed by a 3rd party doesn't quite fit
> right (more on this later)

By that line or reasoning I should not be mad a General Motors if I buy a new
car from General Motors and one of General Motors' suppliers supplied General
Motors with a bad product. That is bunk. The commercial Linus distributors
assembled the distribution, they are responsible for the assembly, and that
is what you are paying them money for.

> Now, from what I've read, Debian is not the distro for
> newbies/not-so-technical folks which is why I have not touched it at this
> point. However, I have installed both SuSE (9.0-9.3) and RedHat (7.2- FC3)
> both from downloaded ISO's and pre-packaged (store bought) distributions
> with little problem (I am strictly a GUI person and the installations were
> relatively painless).
>
> The previous post by Mike Branda was right on the money. Take it slow, and
> in small chunks.

I have SuSE 9.2, 10.0, Mandrake 9.2, 10.1, and Red Hat Core 4 all up and
running. Have had varsions of one or the other running for years. I simply do
not post about what works. It works I have better things to do.

I hate SuSE as I do not understand it and I do not understand it because they
do things differently to what I am accustom to. Your opinion may vary.

Red Hat was a very good distribution until in my opinion they went nuts with
the Blue Curve. I just can not understand why one would want a GUI that is
less quality than MS Windows. But again that is my opinion.

Mandriva has had internal structural problems with the next stable mean not
hourly crashing distribution out until March or April of 06; that leave the
10.1 Mandrake distribution as the last stable one. Currently it is
approximately 18 mounts old so some things are now unattainable for the
Mandrake distribution. For that distribution I have Open Office 2.0 running,
and MySQL running. The ODBC and JDBC connector supplied with the disk is
known to be corrupt. I am unable to find a non corrupt connector of the right
type. The one thing one should be able to do is ungraded to the latest
programs. IF ONE UPGRADES A MANDRAKE KDE SYSTEM YOU WILL REINSTALL THE
SYSTEM. It is that simple upgrade KDE in Mandrake and you will reinstall. Re
installation is required to remove the upgrades unless of course you are
sufficiently advanced that you are building your own distribution. I am not
at that level so I purchase distributions like Mandrake where I pay a
commercial linux distribution company money to solve such issues. I paid and
did not get.

> Get the OS up and running first (and I suggest dropping
> Debian at this point in favor of a more GUI/user-friendly distro until you
> feel more comfortable). Then, start adding services/apps (testing
> functionality after each one to make sure they work to your satisfaction).
>
> As for MySQL, aside from some "quirkyness" among each distro and where each
> wants to install the files, it works well. There is plenty (and I mean
> PLENTY) of documentation out there regarding MySQL installation and use,
> the main one being www.mysql.com. I had never installed let alone used
> MySQL before and had very limited exposure to Linux, but by reading and
> doing some research I was able to install and configure MySQL (server and
> client) and play to my hearts content.
>
> Chances are, someone has attempted the exact same thing you are trying now
> and has run into similar (if not the same) problems.

Yes it is a known issue with Mandrake. The appreciate

> Remember, GOOGLE IS
> YOUR FRIEND. Especially here.

You do not seem to understand I did not encounter problem and then post. I
encounter problem first time 6 months ago and have been working on it since
then. Weeks of Gooling. Infact the my first posting on this issue were on the
OpenOffice Data Base list months ago. This is not a new issue. So what has
changed. Open Office 2.0 came out. Four straight days of attempting to find a
ODBC Connector that is now simply not available. The latest version simply
will not work with my system. Thus if I can not do it with one distribution
the easest thing may be to try another. This is especially true considering
the state of affairs with Mandriva, SuSE, and Red Hat. I want a stable
distribution for this. By that I mean from a group I expect to be in
existence tomorrow. I do not have that feeling with the three commercial
distributors. Their focus is not on having a quality product. If it was we
would not be having these postings.

SOTL