Re: [SLUG] mysql setup

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 13:10:55 EST

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 00:10 -0500, Chuck Hast wrote:
> I am trying to learn how to set up mysql. The machine is a SuSE 10 machine.
> I have installed mysql and started it, the instructions are calling for me to
> run mysql control center, but it does not appear to be on the distro DVD.

Chuck,

To which instructions do you refer?? after installing from YaST and
doing the "/etc/init.d/mysql start" as root, you should be able to do a
"mysql -utest" to test the installation. Then just type "exit" to quit.
At this point the question would be: What are you trying to accomplish?
Connecting with Apache/PHP? Doing the Open Office Thing? Doing like
Dylan H. and storing your e-mail in Sql?

> pulled down one that was on 9.3, it told me I needed a lib, which I downloaded,
> when I went to install it, YaST told me I needed to remove a load of newer
> files, at which point I stopped the install.

Yeah, I found this to not work a while ago and have decided it's a bad
practice. Just leads to RPM hell and breaks the distro. Here's my
usual process:

YaST search - if it's not there, Internet search for SuSE 10 (or your
ver.) compatible RPM. Not Red Hat, Not Mandrake, but SuSE 10 as things
are placed in way different places. If none found, Download the
source. Do a configure and make BUT don't do the make install. If it
builds correctly (no errors), then copy the original tar.gz
to /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/. At this point, build your own RPM either
find a RPM .spec file, modify it, and do a rpmbuild -ba from the command
line or use KRPMBuilder (included in the disc set) to create a SuSE 10
RPM. That way, It's easy to install and uninstall and YaST is aware of
it and the files it contains. On RPM based distros, It's best to stay
"RPM based". When you start mixing source code installs with RPM's and
such, things tend to break.

> According to the book I am using I should have mysql control center installed,
> but does not appear to be, it is not on the suse 10 DVD that I installed all
> of it from either.

What's the command or file name?? Online book or printed?

> I do not know if the control center has been replaced with something else or
> what. I was just trying to get it loaded so I could try and learn how to use it.

Again, use it how? Do you want to learn raw sql command line commands
or have a gui or use it for something specific?

HTH.

Mike Branda Jr.