Re: [SLUG] mysql setup

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 15:00:17 EST

On 12/29/05, Mike Branda <mike@wackyworld.tv> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 00:10 -0500, Chuck Hast wrote:
> > I am trying to learn how to set up mysql. The machine is a SuSE 10 machine.
> > I have installed mysql and started it, the instructions are calling for me to
> > run mysql control center, but it does not appear to be on the distro DVD.
>
> Chuck,
>
> To which instructions do you refer?? after installing from YaST and
> doing the "/etc/init.d/mysql start" as root, you should be able to do a
> "mysql -utest" to test the installation. Then just type "exit" to quit.
> At this point the question would be: What are you trying to accomplish?
> Connecting with Apache/PHP? Doing the Open Office Thing? Doing like
> Dylan H. and storing your e-mail in Sql?

> > pulled down one that was on 9.3, it told me I needed a lib, which I downloaded,
> > when I went to install it, YaST told me I needed to remove a load of newer
> > files, at which point I stopped the install.
> >

> Yeah, I found this to not work a while ago and have decided it's a bad
> practice. Just leads to RPM hell and breaks the distro. Here's my
> usual process:
>
> YaST search - if it's not there, Internet search for SuSE 10 (or your
> ver.) compatible RPM. Not Red Hat, Not Mandrake, but SuSE 10 as things
> are placed in way different places. If none found, Download the
> source. Do a configure and make BUT don't do the make install. If it
> builds correctly (no errors), then copy the original tar.gz
> to /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/. At this point, build your own RPM either
> find a RPM .spec file, modify it, and do a rpmbuild -ba from the command
> line or use KRPMBuilder (included in the disc set) to create a SuSE 10
> RPM. That way, It's easy to install and uninstall and YaST is aware of
> it and the files it contains. On RPM based distros, It's best to stay
> "RPM based". When you start mixing source code installs with RPM's and
> such, things tend to break.
>
> > According to the book I am using I should have mysql control center installed,
> > but does not appear to be, it is not on the suse 10 DVD that I installed all
> > of it from either.
> >

> What's the command or file name?? Online book or printed?
>
> > I do not know if the control center has been replaced with something else or
> > what. I was just trying to get it loaded so I could try and learn how to use it.
>
> Again, use it how? Do you want to learn raw sql command line commands
> or have a gui or use it for something specific?

Mike et al,
I have the box set of SuSE 10. I also purchased the SuSE 10 Unleashed book,
and in there is a set of sequences to set up mysql, and after you have done
the install and initialized it they have you start something called
mysql control
center. You are supposed to be able to go to I think it is
office>database>mysqlcc
and start it up. It allows you to finish the configuration. In mine I
only have Open
Office and Knode or whatever it is called, there is no mysqlcc.

There is mysqladmin which you can start from the command line or icon. I have
some stuff that I want to start storing in a ordered way and figured
it was time to
learn how to use mysql to do it. I want to learn both CLI and GUI. At present I
have done a mix of both.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;