Re: [SLUG] mysql setup

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 15:04:57 EST

On 12/29/05, Kwan Lowe <kwan@digitalhermit.com> wrote:
> Just an FYI:
> Some of the distributions disable the Java support inside their version of
> OpenOffice. This is mainly due to licensing issues, but it affects several
> functions. For the easiest installation, download and install a JRE and get it
> working properly. I.e., you can run java programs from the command line and, if
> desired, from your browser. Test your JDBC connectivity. If you want ODBC, install
> it and test it against your backend database.

Using SuSE 10 boxed, it has java installed and ready.

> Finally, grab the OpenOffice 2.x installation from the OpenOffice.org site. If the
> previous ODBC and JDBC tests worked then the OpenOffice connector will almost
> certainly have no problems connecting.

Also comes with OO 2 installed, indeed one of the GUI interfaces is OO.

> Caveats:
> 1) As mentioned, verify that your distribution doesn't disable java support. If
> you're using an RPM based distro, you can download the SRC.RPM and take a look at
> the spec file for the configuration options. For Gentoo, Debian, and other
> source-based distros, take a look at your build options. Otherwise just grab the
> vanilla openoffice from the main website.

It is not

> 2) Verify that your firewall allows access to the database ports.

I do not have the firewall on that machine it is at the local
net<>cable interface

> 3) Verify that you can connect from the mysql-client to the server.

That is the next step after using the msqlcc is the bring up the client piece.

> No, it's not going to work without some elbow grease, but I was able to get it going
> in a couple hours.

I know that there is work involved, the last time I tried this I so
screwed it up that
I did not want to look at it for a while, but I need to go back and
since I have a
nice clean machine I want to do it right.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;