Re: [SLUG] mysql setup

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 15:08:14 EST

On 12/29/05, Mavrick <icebergwaltz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/29/05, Chuck Hast <wchast@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > do a
> > >

> > > This is simply not true. Do a google search for MySQL rpm packages and
> you
> > > will find plenty to choose from. Better yet, go to SuSE/Novell's
> website
> > > directly and search their rpm repositories and download the one already
> > > packaged for your specific version. Install using YAST and it works.
> > > Nothing special need be done on your as far as the installation goes.
> > > Configuration is a little more customizable.
> > >

> > That is what I did and it gave me product for SuSE 9.3 but not 10.0. I
> > even tried the 9.3 stuff and got all sort of dire warnings if I tried it.
> Also
> > was told that I had to remove a boat load of newer files in order to
> insall
> > a lib set of files.
> >

> > --
> > Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
> > To paraphrase my flight instructor;
> > "the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my going
> > out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn
> > and twisted metal."
>

> I have heard this from at least 1 SuSE user (that SuSE isn't as fast as
> some other distros when it comes to getting the latest and greatest
> applications available to the masses). However, MySQL is hardly cutting
> edge. I believe you that the rpm for 10.0 may not available for download by
> itself from SuSE/Novell, but I'm sure you can find it out there some where.
>
> The SuSE 10.0 install that you have referred to, is it store bought or did
> you download it? I am sure that MySQL would be included either way. It's
> too common and widely used to be left off. It may not be part of the base
> install and you may have to select it as an option. The link below verifies
> that it is included in 10.0.

Box set, I did the DVD install, I also installed MySQL and the other bits and
pieces that I found were recommended. The only one that I did not find what
what they called mysql control center or mysqlcc.

> http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/professional/mysql-client.html
>
> Regarding additional SuSE 10.0 rpm's, I found the following site that
> includes the administrator package:
>
> http://lenz.homelinux.org/RPMs/10.0-i386/

I have the mysqladmin package on it and running.

> A little google can go a long way. Just keep digging and you will turn
> something up.

That is where I went looking for mysqlcc for SuSE 10 and what I found was
for SuSE 9.3....