Re: [SLUG] Debian

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 15:14:52 EST

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 14:35 -0500, SOTL wrote:

> Try it this way then.
>
> You go to a junk yard where they give away parts - all good excellent car
> parts. There are parts of ever sort such that you can build an infinite
> number of different cars. All you have to do is put it together.

O.K. no prob. good.

> Now since you do not have the expertise to do that you walk across the street
> to cheap charlie who will procede to go across the street, get the required
> parts, return and then build your car. You purchase a car.

O.K. no prob. good.

> Your car is finished, you pick it up and start driving down the street and
> suddenly find you have no breaks.

Here's where you are wrong. In purchasing a complete car, you get a
complete car. You do indeed get a complete distro that is
inter-compatible with the packages it _includes_. Those are the ones
they test very diligently and why it takes so long for new releases.
What you need here is more of a:

You bought the car and it doesn't go as fast as you'd like it to. That
was not how the manufacturer intended. So you add on a custom after
market air intake and the plastic doesn't quite match up. So you file
it. That in turn causes filed shavings to get into the intake and break
other parts of the engine because you didn't read the after market
intake instructions to not file it near the engine. You broke your car.
It worked fine as originally intended be cheap Charlie. Now had you
gone back to Charlie and gotten the upgraded intake he built
_specifically_ for your car, you'd be fine.

By trying to interconnect OO and mysql you are hot rodding something
that was not thought of or planned out at SuSE or Mandrake or wherever
by default. There's probably not enough of a demand for them to focus
on this specific thing. But... It can be done with a little tweaking.

> Money was paid for a quality product. That product was not delivered. That is
> fraud. It is just as much fraud and illegal when Microsoft does it as when
> Red Hat, SuSE, and Mandrake do it.

The only bone I'll throw you on this one is that they all put the
majority of their effort into the enterprise linuxes. The regular
desktop linuxes are occasionally a little on the unstable/cutting edge
side (said very conservatively) as to test new drivers and software. I
don't have beef with this as most Desktop linux users (at least at the
current popularity) will never pay a red cent for a distro. So they
focus their attention on what pays the bills which is the enterprise
stuff. Also, I don't mind as all the latest wifi drivers and such are
available almost immediately to the Desktop group but it takes a while
to make it to enterprise releases. I'd rather have wireless access 90%
of the time with an almost bugfree driver than no wireless at all.

I'm not trying to beat you up Frank. But you're a little off in your
frustration. Linux does have a way to go in order for it to really
catch on but as it sits now, it's definitely dependable. And the OO sql
connection in SuSE 10 is very doable.

Mike Branda Jr.