Re: [SLUG] mysql setup

From: John Kinary (john.kinary@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 17:37:51 EST

Chuck Hast wrote:

>I am trying to learn how to set up mysql. The machine is a SuSE 10 machine.
>I have installed mysql and started it, the instructions are calling for me to
>run mysql control center, but it does not appear to be on the distro DVD. I
>pulled down one that was on 9.3, it told me I needed a lib, which I downloaded,
>when I went to install it, YaST told me I needed to remove a load of newer
>files, at which point I stopped the install.
>
>According to the book I am using I should have mysql control center installed,
>but does not appear to be, it is not on the suse 10 DVD that I installed all
>of it from either.
>
>I do not know if the control center has been replaced with something else or
>what. I was just trying to get it loaded so I could try and learn how to use it.
>--
>Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
>To paraphrase my flight instructor;
>"the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my going
>out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn
>and twisted metal."
>
>Chuck,

I had also had a problem installing MySQL 5 on my box running SUSE 10.
The rpm's were built for SUSE 9.3 and were looking for some .so files
that were not installed on my box. I found the .so files on the web
downloaded them and built them on my box. They were installed in
/usr/local/lib. Then I ran idconfig. I then installed the MySQL rpm's
and everything is running great.

John