Re: [SLUG] no input from keyboard and mouse

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 17:39:35 EST

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Mike Branda wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 16:29 -0500, eben1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> > Hey. I just tried to change my power supply and failed (candidate was
> > dead), so I ut the old one back in. Now I get nothing from the keyboard
> > or mouse (the keyboard works in the BIOS, so it and the PS/2 controller
> > work at least somewhat).
>
> Very stupid question but dumber things have happened....are the mouse
> and kbd plugged into the opposite slot?

I'm sure they're right; I didn't move them, and the kb works in the BIOS.
Kb next to the edge of the case (underside of the MB), mouse the other one
(component side of the MB), right?

Dumb questions aren't -- I sanity-check myself.

> Second, do you have a PS tester? I picked one up from CompUSA a while
> back. 7 LED's and plugs straight into the ATX connector. 9.99 at
> CompUSA. Could be a freak coincidence that one of the +V feeds went bad
> at the same time or in swapping you ended up with a bad solder joint.
>
> http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=332184&pfp=SEARCH

Noted... didn't know such an item existed. Thanks.

> Since it's so cheap and a good thing to have on hand...and you can get
> it locally at the store, I'd start there just to rule it out. Unless
> you feel like pulling your hair out with a multimeter. ;^)

I have a multimeter, and hair...

CAPRICORN:  The stars say you're an exciting and wonderful person...
but you know they're lying.  If I were you, I'd lock my doors and
windows and never never never never leave my house again.  -- Weird Al