Re: [SLUG] no input from keyboard and mouse

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 15:22:15 EST

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Mike Branda wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 16:29 -0500, eben1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> > Hey. I just tried to change my power supply and failed (candidate was
> > dead), so I ut the old one back in. Now I get nothing from the keyboard
> > or mouse (the keyboard works in the BIOS, so it and the PS/2 controller
> > work at least somewhat).
>
> Very stupid question but dumber things have happened....are the mouse
> and kbd plugged into the opposite slot? I've actually done that once by
> accident and gotten limited use from the kbd with no mouse on a linux
> box. Never looked into the logistics of how or why it was even
> possible.

Works now. Powering down, and removing/reinserting the mouse and keyboard
connectors fixed it. WAG: At least one of them had become jostled
half-out, and the mobo wouldn't reset until both of them had been totally
removed. Or, they were contacting enough to make one method (the one the
BIOS uses) work, but not enough to make another (the one Linux uses) work.
I discount that one, as I believe PS/2 (and similarly USB) is straight
serial, either the bits are there or they aren't.

      He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
        and he who dares not is a slave.  -Sir William Drummond