[SLUG] Doorman - opening firewall ports

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 17:13:44 EST

Anyone used Doorman?

http://doorman.sourceforge.net/

The basic idea is called "Port Knocking". The firewall has all ports
closed, but keeps an eye on what packets hit what ports. On my remote
laptop, I hit certain ports, in a pre-arranged sequence. The firewall sees
this and opens a port for inbound traffic from my IP address. When I drop
the connection, the port is closed.

More on the subject: http://www.portknocking.org/view/about

I'm in the process of trying to build a very robust VPN, and this will allow
me to keep the ports closed.

Ken Elliott