Re: [SLUG] NOW: SuSE Gateway WAS: mysql setup

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 18:23:05 EST

On 12/29/05, Mike Branda <mike@wackyworld.tv> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 09:48 -0500, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > Actually this one is only the 2nd issue I can really say I have had. I still can
> > not get the stupid thing to pick up the gateway so I have to go in and manually
> > tell it the default gw. The rest of it works just fine, until this
> > one.
>
> Chuck, Is this a wired or wireless interface?? Have you done a Yast2
> --> Network Services --> Routing and enter in the Default Gateway there
> at the top and click finish?? I noticed a few years ago that I had a
> funny gw issue when playing with the if-scripts outside of YaST.
>
> What's the output of "cat /etc/sysconfig/network/routes"?
It appears to be both. Here at home I am presently using a wireless link to
get to my router across the house, every time I bring the system down and
restart it I have to go in and give it a default gw. It picks up all
else most of
the time, at times it does not get the DNS either, if I do a dhcpcd-test ethx
(whatever port) it shows that it has got the gw and dns addresses from the
router, it just does not get them put in the routing table nor at times does it
put the dns in resolv.conf.

Networking being such a critical part of things now it seems that this should
have been fixed a long time ago, I had the problem with 9.1 then 9.3 and
now 10.0 STILL HAS it.

One a laptop it is a bloody pain, you are telling people about all the neat
stuff that it provides and then when you fire it up you have to do a dhcpcd-
test in order to find out what the gw and dns are so you can stick them in
there manually, a real egg on the face pita... Beyond that I the rest of it is
working quite well. Ahh even worse if the link is wireless you have to do a
iwlist wlan0 scan to find out what the wireless AP's are 'round about you
and then you have to go in and manually tell it to attach to the SSID of
interest, what is worse, the other night I was in Miami on the 12 floor of a
hotel and once I told it to use the SSID of the hotel it started off
just fine and
THEN it started going out and grabbing others, I went in and finally got it
locked down to where it would not do it, but the networking area though I
know that it should be the strongest out there seems to be weak, particularly
if you are in some sort of mobile wireless environment.

If you have a wired FIXED IP it appears to be VERY solid, but you have
manually given it the DNS and GW data, and a address so there is not
much to konfuse.

What really pains me is that the company I am working for is looking to go
to Linux and sooner or later I am going to have to do the dog an pony show
and I really would not like to have to demo those warts if I could figure out
what is wrong.

So to summarize:
DHCP gets all of the needed data as shown by the dhcpcd-test tool, but
it does not pass it all to the right places, i.e. routing and dns are not passed
to their respective places

Wireless needs some help to get the ssid of the ap that you want to use, I
could see it locking on one and you had to tell it no (how is it going to know
which one I want unless I discipline it?) but it does not even
initially try to do
that, now once I do give it a SSID it will usually lock on and then I have to
do the dns/gw addin work. At that point I am ready to let the lizard do his duty
and be a very good OS, but before that I am busy getting those things in
line.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;