Re: [SLUG] Debian

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 18:23:33 EST

SOTL wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 December 2005 04:51 pm, Paul M Foster wrote:

<snip>

>>3) Once rebooted, Debian should, instead of giving the normal login
>>screen, start asking you questions about the roles you want your
>>computer to play. Two of the choices should be "Desktop" and "Database
>>Server". You should select those.
>

> I tried to select two and could not.
> I selected Desktop on my first try, system installed command line system.
> I selected Manual Package selection on second try, system installed command
> line system.

The system did not install X? Are you sure? Every time I've installed,
the system has asked me which server I want (NVidia, Realtek, Cirrus,
whatever). I don't know personally whether selecting "Desktop" causes X
to be installed. Someone else said that, and I'll take their word for it.

FWIW, the fact that you don't get a GUI login doesn't mean X isn't
installed. GDM, XDM and KDM control the GUI login (which needs X to run).

Assuming that selecting "Desktop" should normally install X, and
assuming X wasn't then installed, I don't know why. I will say this:
I've recently been installing from DVDs, so I don't have to do a lot of
disk swapping. But someone else mentioned that Debian requires at least
2 CDs to install. And there is a point in the install where you're asked
to feed the system any other CDs you have, so Debian can note what
packages are on the CDs and where. If you didn't do this, yet selected
an option which should provide X, it might well not have installed X.

Otherwise, I don't know. You might try /var/log/aptitude.log, and search
for the string "xserver" to see what it says.

--
Paul M. Foster