Re: [SLUG] Debian

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 14:47:03 EST

On Thursday 29 December 2005 08:00 pm, Ken Elliott wrote:
> >> You go to a junk yard where they give away parts
> >> Now who is at fault that you have no breaks?
>
> In your example, you decided to purchase a car, made from JUNK parts. You
> have to accept that the car may be less than perfect. That is part of the
> implied deal of building a car from free parts you get at a junk yard.

Pickie pickie what does that substract b\from the principal idea?

> >> Money was paid for a quality product. That product was not delivered.
>
> That is fraud.
>
> Sorry, it is not. Read the EULA. It's a shame, and a disappointment, but
> it is not fraud. But didn't you say you downloaded the software? I'm not
> clear on what you paid for.

The EURL applies to software. Fraud is when someone promises one thing and
delivers another in a chimerical contract. EURL which are not visible before
one purchases may and courts have ruled both ways or may not be valid
themselves being a form of fraud. That is once a contract has been entered
and agreeded to by BOTH parties one party can not unilateral change the terms
of the contract after the fact. Ones enteres into the contract when one
surrenders money and the other party surrenders the goods based on the terms
stated at that time. If no terms are stated at or before the conclusion of
the sale then a contract can not be changed afterwards by making one party
agree to terms not previous stated. Beat way for you to began to understand
all the fine points of contracts as related to software is to read ALL of
www.groklaw.net.

> >> It is just as much fraud and illegal when Microsoft does it as when Red
>
> Hat, SuSE, and Mandrake do it.
>
> >> Now do you understand.
>
> Yes. You want a perfect world. It doesn't exist.
>
> You want a perfect product, but that's NOT what is being sold. The license
> agreement says there may be bugs and other defects, and you should test it
> to be sure it will work. That is not an unreasonable thing - designing
> software to work on any-and-all PCs is almost impossible. Toyota will not
> guarantee you that a new car will be perfect, nor will they guarantee it
> will make it around any corner at any speed. These are imperfect things in
> an imperfect world.
>
> That being said, please note that there are a large number of us who have
> install the products, with little-to-no problems. That would suggest that
> it is not the fault of the product.

All I can say is that in a court of law all you have stated would be declared
as farout as The SACO Group's concept of ownership.

> Ken Elliott

PS: This is my last post on this. If you want to understand it to a higher
depth go visit Groklaw. You will be amazed at what you find.