Re: [SLUG] Debian

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 22:42:28 EST

>Hi All
>
>Lost my notes and did a reinstall of a Mandrake system yesterday on the HD I
>was using for the Debian tests so I have no specifics now.
>
>For a continuation of my attempts to install first I down loaded ALL of Debian
>test. Before I was trying to do an on-line installation with Debian Stable.
>Used Debian Test so I would hopefully have a completely different edition of
>Debian.
>
>Installed Debian. Debian went through the basic installation up until time t
>reboot with out issues.
>
>On reboot it was noted that several items failed [here is where I need my
>notes even though there were not complete].
>System went through installation. Chose standard Debian installation. Told to
>scan in programs. Did 14 disk worth of inputting programs. At no point was I
>ever ask what programs I would like installed. System came up running IN
>COMMAND LINE ONLY. No GUI was installed.
>
>Now this is on hardware that has had half a dozen different Linux
>distributions installed on by which I mean Read Hat, SuSE, Mandrake et. In
>approximately 100 installations. I am always trying something new. Never have
>I had a problem with hardware. Also as indicated a Mandrake system was
>installed on top of the Debian installation [I did format HD first] without
>issues.
>
>My only conclusion to this is that there is something wrong with Debian
>installation which is either that the Debian people do not want mere mortal
>to install Debian or more probably there is something drastically broken in
>the system installation.
>
>Well so much for Debian. Another one bytes the dust. On to the next one.
>
>SOTL
>
>PS. If you don't believe me try it.

Hey, SOTL!

I'm not sure what the problem is here, but I still consider myself a
newbie. I have done dozens of Debian installs successfully on many
different systems. It's really not so hard. If I lived in the area, I
would offer to come help you get that thing going on the contengency
that there was pizza and good, imported beer. I have actually never
installed from cd, but only ever from the ftp installer and disk 1.
about nine months ago, I started on Linux with Knoppix. A couple of
months later, I graduated to Debian. I have never had the problems you
describe here. Is there more than one distrobution called "Debian?"

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
Are monestaries cold because of all the parishables?