Re: [SLUG] usb thumbdrive AAARRGH

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 17:14:27 EST

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 15:54 -0500, Steven Buehler wrote:
> - Check that your USB thumbdrive is properly formatted and that you
> have USB mass storage support in your kernel.

Yes, as modules. The drive works fine in OS X and XP. I also have
another thumb drive that does work on this linux box. This sony one is
just bunk. Although the usb-storage driver homepage lists it as
supported and the driver seems to load.

> - Most USB drives do not have a partition table and will mount
> directly as /dev/hdx or /dev/sdx, etc.

I thought that was the common case. Unless you hack it and custom
partition it. If you look at the syslog messages in the previous post,
it shows it's trying to attach as /dev/sdb. It just never gets there in
the end.

Mike Branda Jr.