Re: [SLUG] Quicktime on SuSE 10

From: Mike Branda (realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 22:25:21 EST

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 20:00 -0500, Eben King wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > Folks
> > I have a Kodak camera that also records video in .mov (quicktime) format.
> > I am running SuSE 10, I went in and added the quicktime libs but I still can
> > not view the .mov file that the camera generated. I have been googling on
> > these things and it appears that the lib files are what I needed but Kaffine
> > still will not show a thing.
> >
> > This file is for work, and I really do not want to have to fire up
> > XPeee in order
> > to be able to see this thing.
>
> Have you tried MPlayer?

Mplayer is definitely the way to go!!

If you have an internet connection - Add the packman source to YaST and
then install mplayer. It will install all the codecs and you have an
option to do the opensource driver for divx too.

YaST --> Software --> Installation Source

At the bottom click Add --> HTTP

On the "Server Name" line add: packman.iu-bremen.de

On the "Directory on Server" line add: suse/10.0

Leave Anonymous checked. You may or may not want to turn "Refresh" On.
I get errors if it's not on and they update the packages at all. Click
O.K. and Finish.

Now Go YaST --> Software Management and type mplayer in the search
field. Click Search, check the box, --> Accept and away you go. It
will add the w32codec-all package as a dependency. the program installs
under gmplayer for the gui version. In kde, the link goes under
Multimedia --> Video Player.

I play quicktimes, divx, avi's, mpegs and DVD's all with mplayer.

HTH.

Mike Branda Jr.