Re: [SLUG] Partition new HD first? NO Install MS First

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sun Sep 11 2005 - 22:54:06 EDT

On Sunday 11 September 2005 08:39 am, SOTL wrote:
> On Saturday 10 September 2005 09:08 pm, Eben King wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Bob Stia wrote:
> > > Hello Sluggers,
> > >
> > > This has probably been discussed a thousand time before. Darned
> > > if I can find this specifically though.
> > >
> > > Have dual boot system. Windows on hda & Suse on hdb. hda is small
> > > & dying and I bought a new much larger disk to replace it with.
> > > Now I believe that I can just plug it in and pop in the Windoze
> > > disk and let it install. (Looong time since I did a Windoze
> > > install) Then restore my mbr for SuSE.
> > >........<snip the rest>.........

> > You're proposing to partition the new drive, then install? I see
> > no reason why not. If you install Win first (i.e. before Linux)
> > you don't need to fix the MBR; installing sets both OSes up.

Whoa, Somewhere along the line here the thread has become
mis-understood. My Linux SuSE 9.2 system is already installed safely
and snugly on another hard drive. hdb. I was merely asking about what
Windows would do to the new hard drive (hda). I just want to give Win98
minimal space and save the rest of the drive for Linux use.

Appreciate your information and advice though. This is a great group of
people who offer advice and counseling on this list. Thank you all for
that.

Bob S.