Re: [SLUG] Partition new HD first? NO Install MS First

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Sep 11 2005 - 12:07:26 EDT

On Sunday 11 September 2005 08:39, SOTL wrote:
> On Saturday 10 September 2005 09:08 pm, Eben King wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Bob Stia wrote:
> > > Hello Sluggers,
> > >
> > > This has probably been discussed a thousand time before. Darned if I
> > > can find this specifically though.
> > >
> > > Have dual boot system. Windows on hda & Suse on hdb. hda is small &
> > > dying and I bought a new much larger disk to replace it with. Now I
> > > believe that I can just plug it in and pop in the Windoze disk and let
> > > it install. (Looong time since I did a Windoze install) Then restore my
> > > mbr for SuSE.
> > >
> > > I would rather not do that. I don't want Windoze populating the whole
> > > disk. Would like to set up a small partition for Windoze and partition
> > > the rest of the disk for Linux. (SuSE & other distros to try out)
> > >
> > > Can I just plug in the new drive, boot SuSE from the boot CD and then
> > > go partition from there? Then go reinstall Windoze and restore the mbr
> > > ?
> >
> > You're proposing to partition the new drive, then install? I see no
> > reason why not. If you install Win first (i.e. before Linux) you don't
> > need to fix the MBR; installing sets both OSes up.
>
> How you install depends on which type of MS installation you have.
>
> If you have a MS install disk setup then you may install MS first. This is
> something which I have not tried. It is also something I would not
> recommend your doing such since MS goes to great length to make itself
> incompatible with Linux.
>
> If of course you DO BOT have a MS Windows install disk but have a RECOVERY
> disk you MUST install MS Windows FIRST since the first thing MS Windows is
> going to do is reformat the HD. This is of course what I would recommend
> your doing even if you have a install disk.

> Next you need to install Partation Magic and split the HD in to two
> components one of MS Windows and one for everything else. I recommend your
> doing this BEFORE you install any Windows programs. Minimum size partation
> for MS Windows is about 5 GB [I recommend 7 GB] for Windows to operate
> correctly. At the 5 to 10 GB range if you use over 1/3 of the partation
> AFTER all programs and data are installed you are asking for trouble.

> by doing expert install. I recommend the following.
>
> hda1 5 GB NTFS Windows System
> hda2 extended
> hda5 As big as possible fat32 Common_Data
> hda6 100 MB ext3 /boot
> hda7 7 GB ext3 /
> hda8 5 GB ext3 /home
> hda9 5 GB ext3 /var
>
> Experience with databases has shown that Progress and MYSQL both store
> their data in /var. If you plan on updating from disk, the easy way, or any
> other modification by disk then /var will be wiped if it is included in the
> / partation. Same goes for /home.
>
> I strongly recommend DO NOT USE Mandrake's, Fedoras', or SuSE's normal
> default partation setup. If you do you are asking for problems and you will
> be sorry.

> [...]
To be safe unplug the drive with SUSE. I am sure there are options
to partition the new drive when you install Win98. If you make any
mistakes you cann't trash your Linux installation.
If you are using a recoevery disk, you must unplug the IDE connection
to the drive with SUSE.
After you have installed Win98, plug the IDE connection back to the
drive with SUSE. Qparted can be used to do additional partitioning
on the new drive. Partitionmagic is a nice nonfree Windows partitioning
tool which needs to work in a running Windows system.
Most Distros default install will want to use all the free space on the disk,
so when installing new I limit that. That is why I like to have prexisting
empty Linux partitions on the disk to install them in.

                             Richard Smoot