Re: [SLUG] CS vs BA

From: Eric A. Hicks (lugmail@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 00:03:11 EDT

nick velez wrote:

> Hello All,
> I seek your opinions.
>
> I come from a poor background. Growing up, I enjoyed learning as much
> as possible about everything. I would spend much of my time at the
> local public library as this was the only source of free education
> available to me outside of the public school system. It was there
> that I developed a love for technology, especially computers and
> programming.

If you can hack the math, go with engineering. If not, get an MBA.
However, this depends on your personality type. If you are the
stereotypical introvert with a slightly abrasive personality and you
don't think you can curb that, then stay with the techie stuff. If you
can bring yourself to handle people issues well, then go with the MBA.
As much fun as tech is, after a certain point in your life you'll want
to get yourself out of the trenches and instead of being told what to
do, you can start telling others what to do. Your salary will increase
a bit also.

Here's a couple more observations I've made over the years.... if you go
with programming, then specialize in something. Programming is too
broad now. I'm personally a java programmer and there is no way I can
keep up with it all... it's too large of an API to know it all well. I
have focused on a very niche thing and I do it well, and it has served
me well. However, I'm following my own advice and I'm almost finished
with my MBA. I know that I will not be able to keep up with the
technology. Tech changes too fast... good management skills don't
change that frequently. I can still be a good manager when I'm 60.
Probably not a good java programmer.

I would advise against a network admin, or analyst career. This once
glorious profession was killed off by the waves of MCSEs and such in the
90's. Stay away from that. Now... this does not mean don't learn
network stuff! You need to know it, it's almost a requirement. Just
don't stop there. This also goes with DBA stuff. You have to learn SQL
no matter what you do... just learn it but don't go for a career in it.

Security is big right now. I don't know how long that will last though.

If you want to start your own technology business, then you have a lot
of work to do. Technology is a wide field... you'll need to narrow it
down quite a bit. A business degree can help you understand all the
issues surrounding running a business. There are finance, marketing,
legal, sales and a host of other issues that you will bump into. It's
better to know about this stuff up front than on the fly.

Last thing is... just do what you like doing. Personally, I'm getting
my MBA (and possibly my Doctorate in Management) so that I can teach
about 8 years from now. Teaching affords me the lifestyle I'm after.
I'll get to spend more time with my family teaching than being a
corporate cowboy. It's up to you... you only live once so you should
like what you do for a living.

ok, enough rambling...