Re: [SLUG] Linux distribution chooser.

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jan 07 2006 - 15:53:17 EST

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 10:35 -0500, Robert Snyder wrote:

> I had a problem with the test. apparently if i select I have
> something great than 1ghz machine then i get gentoo if i say i have a
> 1ghz or less i get gentoo/slackware if i select 500mhz I get just
> slackware.
>
> The test is skewed.

For me, it suggested:
Kubuntu, Mandriva, Mepis, Linspire, Xandros and SuSE

I told it I wanted KDE, any package manager, beginner/intermediate Linux
user, free or non-free. I failed Fedora Core (which I'm using on this
PC) and Debian (on the other) due to the GUI. So the test doesn't seem
unreasonable.

Then I told it I was an expert Linux user, requiring free, and it
suggested:
Kubuntu, Mandriva, Mepis, (adding) Gentoo and Slackware. It dropped
Linspire, Xandros and SuSE (non-free).

I ran the same test, adding support for wireless networks and it offered
the same choices.

It seems to operate on a "Rule out" methology. For example, when you
pick "free", it rules out all non-free distros. So its less of a
"chooser", and more of a "dropper".

Ken Elliott