Re: [SLUG] Linux distribution chooser.

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 12:42:46 EST

BEEP! Ahem...pardon the interruption - catching up and I'll be darned if I can find an earlier post to this thread.

<1136667197.8359.23.camel@localhost.localdomain>, kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com
wrote:
> On Thu, 2006- 01- 05 at 10:35 - 0500, Robert Snyder wrote:
>>

>> I had a problem with the test. apparently if i select I have
>> something great than 1ghz machine then i get gentoo if i say i have a
>> 1ghz or less i get gentoo/slackware if i select 500mhz I get just
>> slackware.
>>
>> The test is skewed.
>
> For me, it suggested:
> Kubuntu, Mandriva, Mepis, Linspire, Xandros and SuSE
>
> I told it I wanted KDE, any package manager, beginner/intermediate Linux
> user, free or non- free. I failed Fedora Core (which I'm using on this
> PC) and Debian (on the other) due to the GUI. So the test doesn't seem
> unreasonable.
>
> Then I told it I was an expert Linux user, requiring free, and it
> suggested:
> Kubuntu, Mandriva, Mepis, (adding) Gentoo and Slackware. It dropped
> Linspire, Xandros and SuSE (non- free).

SUSE is not free? Whoa. Last I looked it's available at 100% no cost to everyone on opensuse.org. Of course you can purchase a nice boxed set dvd with a simple user guide from most anywhere for $59, but to call it "non-free" is just not right! Where is that chooser at so I can get them corrected???

> I ran the same test, adding support for wireless networks and it offered
> the same choices.
>
> It seems to operate on a "Rule out" methology. For example, when you
> pick "free", it rules out all non- free distros. So its less of a
> "chooser", and more of a "dropper".
>
> Ken Elliott

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

JP