[SLUG] Hello, first post :)

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Wed Jan 11 2006 - 15:58:12 EST

Hi!,
I just wanted to chew some bandwidth and introduce myself. I've been a
lurker for awhile and see that the folks on this list are top notch :)
To give you a little background on me. I am a Sr. level network
engineer for one of the nations largest banks. Hopefully I can add some
network knowledge along with the networking experts on this list.
I've been using Linux since circa 2000 and have played with alot of
distros\apps.

Ok so.. for my first question
on my home server I was playing with hdparm. (suse 9.2)

*my main disk reads:
        /dev/hda:

         UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5

* and tests @
        /dev/hda:
          Timing buffered disk reads: 100 MB in 3.00 seconds=
        33.32MB/sec

** my "storage" disk reads:
        /dev/hdc:

          UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2

** and tests @
        /dev/hdc:
         Timing buffered disk reads: 70 MB in 3.05 seconds = 22.95
        MB/sec

Both disks are capable of UDMA mode 5, however /dev/hdc only lists up to
udma2. Why do you think mode 5 is not listed? I haven't checked but
It's possible a CD-ROM is slaved on the same channel. Could that be it?

Does /dev/hda's timing look around par?

TIA
-Chris