Re: Re: [SLUG] How will MS use the FAT patents?

From: Richard Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 14:08:21 EST

Quoting John Pugh <jpugh@novell.com>:

> Last I looked IBM, Novell, and others have just a "few" patents that
> could start a war in the intellectual property space and send MS
> scrambling on some key features inside of a good number of M$'s
> products.

That may be true. But keep in mind that IBM isn't our friend, they're a
business and businesses are out to make money, not spend it all on a holy war
defending a free product. The best way to think of IBM is to consider them a
mercenary. They're on our side as long as they are getting paid. If
you don't
believe me, ask the former OS/2 community whether or not IBM will defend a
technically superior product.

> I don't have any problem writing to silly NTFS mounts where I have
> to...I have more problems with everyone one else wanting to write to
> them! Of course, I would NEVER use NTFS or FAT for any production
> data...way too much risk for my blood.

You're missing the point. Every flash memory device made today uses
FAT/FAT32 -
even the iPod. By enforcing the patent on FAT technology, this could possibly
eliminate Linux on the desktop by not being able to read/write to these
devices. How many of your USB memory sticks are formatted ReiserFS? Not too
many...

-Rich