Re: Re: [SLUG] How will MS use the FAT patents?

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 13:05:52 EST

<20060112115922.3n0v8xuhtlog04c4@webmail.heavysystems.com>,
rmorgan@heavysystems.com wrote:
> With the tens of billions of dollars they have in the bank, I believe MS
> could
> afford to kill Linux and absorb the resulting antitrust fines. As long as
> 90%
> of desktops use MS technology they're not going anywhere.
>
> Given Ballmer's enjoyment of killing things, I would not be surprised
> to see MS
> try to leverage their patents against Linux. Look at how they've been so
> successful in preventing NTFS write support?

Last I looked IBM, Novell, and others have just a "few" patents that could start a war in the intellectual property space and send MS scrambling on some key features inside of a good number of M$'s products.

I don't have any problem writing to silly NTFS mounts where I have to...I have more problems with everyone one else wanting to write to them! Of course, I would NEVER use NTFS or FAT for any production data...way too much risk for my blood.

> Quoting Steven Buehler <swbuehler@gmail.com>:
>
>> Microsoft would be suicidal to attempt to enforce the patent, given its
>> already tenuous antitrust situation.

Well...the US Gov pretty much caved in on the antitrust thing with MS...not so sure it's very tenuous from my perspective.

JP