Re: [SLUG] SLi & Linux?

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 02:48:07 EST

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, michael hast wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>
> >Well, it depends how much snappy video / extra heat is worth to you.
> >
> Right now, I'm kind of leaning in the direction of the latter. I
> dunno. I'm weak enough with all the hacking and configuring that it
> just seems like it might be a better choice for me to go the
> tried-and-true way. If you had come back and said, "oh, yeah, that's
> easy, Michael..." then I would feel more comfortable about that idea.

Never done it; can't speak to its ease (or lack thereof). But hey, Nvidia
says it's easy, and they've got nothing more at stake than two kickin' video
cards and increased chipset licensing fees. No reason for them to stretch
the truth, nosiree!

Sorry, I'm just automatically suspicious when a company promotes its
proprietary feature.

> I've read plenty of articals on running an AGP and a PCI, though. I'm
> not doing any gaming, so that may be my best bet. I might look for a
> MoBo that has the one PCI-E slot and go with a reg. PCI later if it
> comes up. The thing I hate about the PCI-E boards, though, is that they
> leave off PCI slots for more of the PCI-E x1 slots, and I've never seen
> any card that is that format. What do you run in a PCI-E besides
> graphics, anyway?

Mmm, SCSI, Firewire or RAID cards? Sound cards with lots of channels?
That thing about the baseball diamond can be used here too: "Build a
high-bandwidth channel and cards will come."

   Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who
   would keep all wine out of the country lest men should be drunk.
                                                 -- Oliver Cromwell