Re: [SLUG] playing dvd's

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 02:21:15 EST

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 22:28, Eben King wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, michael hast wrote:
> > I'm running Debian 3.1 on kernel 2.6, and apparently, I don't know
> > how to configure a media player to play a dvd from my dvd rom. I just
> > installed mplayer, and it will not play video dvd's in it's current
> > configuration. I told it to look in /media/cdrom1, as per my file
> > manager, and it doesn't seem to see anything there.
>
> That's the mount point. Video DVDs aren't mounted. It wants /dev/hdc or
> whatever. On mine, it's /dev/dvd1 or /dev/dvd2, I think. mplayer's a
> decent player -- hey, for playing not-region-1 DVDs, it's all I had for a
> while -- but don't expect the same graphical menu as when you put the disc
> in a standalone player. Dunno if it does that.

Uummmm.... Hey guys, supposedly playing encrypted DVDs is illegal on a
computer. Even if you bought and own the disc. Xine & Mplayer are purposely
crippled by many distros to prevent this because of legal restrictions/fears.
Don't know about Debian and the other distros but in Suse you have to dump
the distro package and get an un-crippled one. In SuSE you can get either or
both at the Packman site. A little googling will point you in the right
direction. You MUST also install a copy of libdvdcss to play these DVDs or it
won't work. Even libdvdcss has been pulled from many sites in the US and
Europe because of these restrictions/regulations. It is available though. I
got my latest copy from a site in Brazil. I've been watching DVD movies for
several years now. (Since 8.2 - now at 10.0)

Hope you all work it out.

Bob S.