Re: [SLUG] playing dvd's

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 10:19:09 EST

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 02:21, Bob Stia wrote:
> Uummmm.... Hey guys, supposedly playing encrypted DVDs is illegal on a
> computer. Even if you bought and own the disc. Xine & Mplayer are
> purposely crippled by many distros to prevent this because of legal
> restrictions/fears. Don't know about Debian and the other distros but in
> Suse you have to dump the distro package and get an un-crippled one. In
> SuSE you can get either or both at the Packman site. A little googling will
> point you in the right direction. You MUST also install a copy of libdvdcss
> to play these DVDs or it won't work. Even libdvdcss has been pulled from
> many sites in the US and Europe because of these restrictions/regulations.
> It is available though. I got my latest copy from a site in Brazil. I've
> been watching DVD movies for several years now. (Since 8.2 - now at 10.0)

What I remember of the case is that it is not illegal. Further judges have
been slamming down on what amounts to trying to over reach what the DMCA was
designed for. It's also being held as unconstitutional by the EFF. I think
every recent case brought on by the record industry have been knocked down by
the judges.

The guy who wrote the tool to read dvd's (Jon Leech) ended up winning the case
on appeal in Norway. Ditto with another case in CA where they decided to drop
the case for distributing DeCSS. California Appeal Court upheld that it's
legal to distribute.

People pulled it because they were afraid to get legally involved. Even if you
are in the right it's expensive to go to court, as I'm sure you know.

You can get it and other (legal) upgrades here:
http://stanton-finley.net/

--

Steve Szmidt

"For evil to triumph all that is needed is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.