[SLUG] Bananapos

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 10:03:18 EST

petetheisen wrote:
> Paul M Foster wrote:
>> *************************************
>> * Suncoast Linux Users Group (SLUG) *
>> * Meeting Schedule *
>> *************************************
>>
>> SARASOTA/BRADENTON ***************************************
>>
>> 17 January 18:00-21:00 Sarasota
>> (third Tuesday of each month)
>>
>> Sarasota Commerce Center II
>> Conference Room, left inside main entrance
>> 101 Arthur Anderson Pkwy
>> Sarasota, FL 34232
>>
>> See
>> http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=101+Arthur+Anderson+Parkway,+Sarasota,+FL+34232
>> for a map.
>
> Hi Everybody!
>
> Discussion was wide ranging. One topic of interest was the point of
> sale for linux, how there isn't any. Maybe there is one, however.
>
> <http://www.bananapos.com/pos/home.html>
>
> Looking for a new meeting place, I guess we can't use that place any
> more.

Pete note quite the point of sale system I was talking about. Most POS
systems have credit card support through what the merchant account
industry likes to call "datawire" aka a fancy name for a piece of
software creating a SSL connection to the credit card processor. This is
different than online merchant account where were you have a web page
and you fill out a form and it processes. Data wire is the preferred
ways of processing card card swiped or manually entered form a pos
environment. People using credit card terminals that dial out are just
slow. The problem is with that is that it has to dial each time to get
what is called an Auth which is nothing more than a hold on the credit
card. Then at some point you do the End of day aka Batch Settlement
which finalizes the process.

I searched the forums and the devloper promising credit card terminal
support for the annoying dial up terminals by one brand of terminal
maker. Which will not help out most as your processor has list of
compatible terminals and terminal software ( like what I use to process
cards) and if it is not on that list you are better off not even
bothering trying. What is intresting is that on the software side most
software uses JCard which is a Java applet that handles the trans
actions for the software processor. In theory Jcard would work in Linux
as it contains no windows specific code as I seen a mac os 9 credit card
app that use Jcard. So basically a gui could be written for jcard in
Linux the trick would be getting the makers of jcard to letting the
Linux community have access to its api which I highly doubt.

Wee Robby Snyders