Re: [SLUG] playing dvd's

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 22:07:39 EST

>There is no "distro package" for mplayer in debian. I assume michael
>either built from source (similar to
>http://www.princessleia.com/MPlayer.php ) or installed the marillat
>packages ( http://www.princessleia.com/MPlayer2.php ). Either way,
>mplayer has native, builtin dvd support, and doesn't need nor want
>libdvdread nor libdvdcss. If you do `mplayer dvd://1` , it will try
>/dev/dvd. If you don't want to link /dev/hdc (or whatever) to
>/dev/dvd, you can also pass the -dvd-device flag, as in `mplayer
>-dvd-device /dev/hdc dvd://1`

I thought about using Alien on the RPM, but I have admittedly jacked
stuff up that way. I don't know why there isn't an official Debian
package...

>Xine, on the other hand, requires both libdvdread and libdvdcss to
>play commercial DVDs. And it does play menus, quite nicely, although
>I've found it uses quite a bit more cpu than mplayer in general,
>although with modern machines this is more of an annoyance than an
>issue.

Maybe I will apt-get Xine and see if it will work. One issue here that
alarms me is that I have several players installed that SHOULD play a
video dvd, but none of them do.

>As far as the legal issues, in a world with software patents, any
>sufficiently complex piece of software is guaranteed to violate one or
>more patents. The Linux kernel itself has been shown to be in
>violation of some obscene number of patents, including the recently
>upheld FAT patent.

As far as that is concerned, I think that somebody smarter and more
bored than me should come up with their own format encoding that is
compatible yet unique to FAT under the GPL. They could call it PHAT. :-P

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
I'm not picking my nose.  I'm pulling things out of it.