Re: [SLUG] Talk: wifi chipset with open source drivers

From: Eric A. Hicks (lugmail@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 11:20:24 EST

Dylan Hardison wrote:
> At the next St. Petersburg meeting, Myself and Tina Waite (Spoony)
> will be giving a little talk on our experiences with the RaLink 2500
> chipset, which is an 802.11g chipset with open source drivers. In
> addition to having open source drivers, one can buy a card with this
> chipset for about $20 at any computer parts store (or even Wal Mart).

And what card/model would that be?? I wouldn't mind getting a couple
of $20 wireless cards for a change.

I have two Hawking (one PCMCIA and one USB) devices that use the RaLink
drivers (don't know if they are 2500 or not) and I can't get them to
work in linux. Well, let me restate that.... I try to get them to
autodetect when running the Auditor live CD and also Knoppix-STD and
they don't autodetect.

I've resorted to sticking with Prism 2 chipsets because they autodetect
so well. My fav right now is the Z-Com 325HP (found here
http://www.moonblink.com/pd_zcom.cfm) It allows me to plug in external
antennas (http://www.moonblink.com/pd_12dbi.cfm) for wardriving.

If you don't want to spoil your talk, just private email me the
card/model... it would be appreciated. thanks.