Re: [SLUG] Edit PDF files

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Jan 21 2006 - 01:56:27 EST

Chuck Hast wrote:

> Folks,
> Either it can not be done or no one is reading my text OR I am missing
> something.

You're getting alternate solutions in lieu of the fact that what you
want to do cannot be done the way you want to do it. I've been reading
the PDF spec and a couple of reasons come to mind. First, your text may
not be actually "clear text" in the PDF. I have PDFs like this, where I
know there's a string in there, but when I grep for the string it
doesn't show up; it's obfuscated in some way. Second, objects in a PDF
file (of which your text may be one) are generally indexed and have a
specific length, specified when the PDF is created or modified. If you
tamper with one of the objects and change its length, the whole PDF may
become unuseable.

So the answer is that there is no way to edit text in place in one step
with an Open Source package. Adobe Acrobat for Windows, maybe.
Otherwise, you're stuck with converting or somesuch.

--
Paul M. Foster