Re: [SLUG] dual boot

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 12:48:54 EST

>> Hey, everybody!
>>
>> Last night, I completed my first dual-boot installation! When I
>> had asked about it before, the answer has basically been, oh, it's
>> easy. Well, I'm here to tell you that the first time setting up a
>> dual-boot XP/Debian is not easy. It will be a whole lot easier next
>> time, that's for sure! This computer that I worked on all day
>> yesterday is my brother's. He needs some M$ Office stuff, but still
>> wants Linux. So, I decided to just figure out how to do it. One
>> thing that I have noticed, though, is that I cannot see one
>> filesystem with the other one. This concerns me since that was part
>> of the point of setting it up as a dual-boot is so that he could play
>> with documents on either side of the coin and still save them in the
>> same place. How do I do this? Am I destine to reinstall again, or
>> can I simply slip another carefully formatted partition in
>> somewhere? Any and all help welcome. Thank you!
>>
>> --
>> --Michael Hast (the evyl robot)
>> I'm not picking my nose. I'm pulling things out of it.
>>

> When setting up a dual boot environment it's best to install Windows
> first. For sharing documents between Windows & Linux, create a FAT32
> filesystem that can be accessed from both. You can use either the
> Windows bootloader or grub on the MBR. Using the Windows bootloader is
> a little more complicated to set up but will make it easier if one
> wants to ditch Linux but leave Windows at a later point in time.
>
> -Jonathon

Okay. What I've got right now is two partitions. I have a ~5GB
partition that has Debian on it. I have a ~20GB FAT32 partition that
has XP Pro on it. I've got the M$ boot manager feeding to either XP or
Debian. Either OS works fine on its own. The problem is, I can't
figure out how to share files between. Should I not be able to read and
write to the Windows partition from Debian, or will I need another FAT32
partition for that? If so, I'm sure I could split that 20GB in half,
and set up another partiion that would serve the purpose. Since it's a
brand new install on both, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm just trying
to figure out what I need to do to make it happen.