Re: [SLUG] dual boot

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 11:46:55 EST

michael hast wrote:
> Hey, everybody!
>
> Last night, I completed my first dual-boot installation! When I had
> asked about it before, the answer has basically been, oh, it's easy.
> Well, I'm here to tell you that the first time setting up a dual-boot
> XP/Debian is not easy. It will be a whole lot easier next time, that's
> for sure! This computer that I worked on all day yesterday is my
> brother's. He needs some M$ Office stuff, but still wants Linux. So, I
> decided to just figure out how to do it. One thing that I have noticed,
> though, is that I cannot see one filesystem with the other one. This
> concerns me since that was part of the point of setting it up as a
> dual-boot is so that he could play with documents on either side of the
> coin and still save them in the same place. How do I do this? Am I
> destine to reinstall again, or can I simply slip another carefully
> formatted partition in somewhere? Any and all help welcome. Thank you!

For the Linux box to see the Windows filesystems, you only have to mount
them under Linux. That involves tweaking your /etc/fstab file as root.
This would entail adding a line such as:

/dev/hdb1 /mnt ntfs defaults 0 0

to that file. You would obviously change the first parameter (device),
second parameter (mount point), and third parameter (filesystem type) to
suit your needs. Your references are man 5 fstab and man 8 mount.

For your Windows box to see your Linux filesystem(s), you need Samba
installed and configured on your Linux box. That's a bit more
complicated. It's primarily a question of tweaking your
/etc/samba/smb.conf. Since there are about 138,345,837,502 ways of
configuring this file, I won't detail it here. I'd suggest a brief
tutorial on Samba. Passwords are key. Since I have a small network (two
people, five machines), I ensure unencrypted passwords, which involves
an edit to your Windows' machine's registry. But others advocate against
this. Your choice. Once you get this file the way you want it, save it
in two or three places. That way, when you have to set up another
machine to use Samba, you can use this file as a model, without having
to remember all the arcane bits.

--
Paul M. Foster