Re: [SLUG] dual boot

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 14:19:55 EST

michael hast wrote:
> Paul M Foster wrote:
>
>> michael hast wrote:

<snip>

> how do I determine what to set up the mount point as? I know that it's
> not as simple as making something up--or is it? Is there a standard
> thing that I need to put in there for that purpose?

A mount point has to be a pre-existing directory, preferably with
nothing in it. According to the latest FHS (filesystem hierarchy
standard), the /mnt directory should be reserved for temporary mounts,
especially those which mount and unmount things in the process of
running or installing. Otherwise, there should be a /media directory
which will contain mount points for cdrom, floppy, etc. The FHS doesn't
have much to say about permanent mounts for non-removable media (like
mounting a filesystem from another drive). In any case, you're free to
mount where you like. My latest scheme is to make a /lan directory, and
mount my permanent mounts there. I have three mounts on my network that
I mount permanently: /lan/lists /lan/websites and /lan/backup.

--
Paul M. Foster