Re: [SLUG] dual boot

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 23:39:09 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:

> michael hast wrote:
>
>> Paul M Foster wrote:
>>
>>> michael hast wrote:
>>>
> <snip>
>

>> how do I determine what to set up the mount point as? I know that
>> it's not as simple as making something up--or is it? Is there a
>> standard thing that I need to put in there for that purpose?
>>

> A mount point has to be a pre-existing directory, preferably with
> nothing in it. According to the latest FHS (filesystem hierarchy
> standard), the /mnt directory should be reserved for temporary mounts,
> especially those which mount and unmount things in the process of
> running or installing. Otherwise, there should be a /media directory
> which will contain mount points for cdrom, floppy, etc. The FHS
> doesn't have much to say about permanent mounts for non-removable
> media (like mounting a filesystem from another drive). In any case,
> you're free to mount where you like. My latest scheme is to make a
> /lan directory, and mount my permanent mounts there. I have three
> mounts on my network that I mount permanently: /lan/lists
> /lan/websites and /lan/backup.

And he emerges triumphantly! (mostly.) I did a reinstall of XP on a
much smaller ntfs partition. Then, I sectioned off a larger fat32
partition. At that point, it was pretty simple to get both OS's
rw-ing. That is a pretty sweet setup. It would be a lot better on more
of a computer, but it was a really cool trial-run. Thanks for the help,
everyone! I have another wrinkle on my brain, and another story to tell
the grandkids someday. LOL. Well, I feel like I'm becoming an
accomplished hacker, one little trick at a time. Maybe someday...

--
--Michael Hast  (the evyl robot)
I'm not picking my nose.  I'm pulling things out of it.